Somersett United (SU) evolved from a meeting of approximately 30 homeowners who were concerned about the perceived self-dealing on the part of the then three person Developer controlled Board of Directors (BOD). Most notably: 1) non-turnover of the BOD to homeowner control, 2) use of homeowner assessments to repay the Developer $366K for common area construction defects (the “Subsidy Reimbursement Agreement”) and 3) use of home owner assessments at $15/month/owner to subsidize the Country Club’s operating losses ( the “Lease & Management Agreement), this without homeowner vote. Getting no satisfaction from the BOD, individuals, on their own initiative, stepped forward to file Complaints with the Nevada Real Estate Division Ombudsman’s office. The rest is history, which along with subsequent issues (e.g., underfunding of reserves, Moana litigation, CC&R Amendments, Country Club Purchase Agreement, equal space requirements for ballot measures, BOD meeting results and director elections, to name a few) have been reported on extensively on this website.
With regard to the SU website, it went on-line in March 2012 as a method of communicating information on community issues to Somersett residents. This was deemed necessary in the absence of any “homeowner forum” provision on the official SOA website. That is, to provide a place where important issues are posted and open for comment both pro and con. Yes, Somersett United publishes editorials supporting their consensus position on many issues. Yes, it also accepts, without editing or screening, all comments expressing opposing viewpoints, even those in bad taste. Since inception there have been 175 blog posts, 772 comments and 70,000 visits to the SU website.
To address Mr. Slattery’s specific questions:
- Who Controls Somersett United? – Nobody controls Somersett United, see following responses.
- Who reads and approves the Blogs? – There have been many different contributors to the Blog articles, which are submitted to the website administrator for publishing. The administrator does perform some editing duties on these articles, but only on form and format, not on content. Reader submitted Comments are also approved for posting by the website administrator but without editing of any kind. In three years of operation only two Comments have been rejected as being in exceptionally bad taste.
- Who are the officers of Somersett United? – There are no officers.
- What is the Structure of Somersett United – There is no official structure. Somersett United is simply a loose knit group of homeowners that communicate mainly via email. Yes, there is a core group that meets infrequently and unscheduled to discuss issues and propose actions (not always with unanimous consent).
- Who funds Somersett United? If some action is decided upon that requires funding, this is accomplished via voluntary contributions.
- Is there a membership list? There is no official membership list.
Mr. Slattery may be disappointed that this response does not provide a list of homeowners who have been directly involved with Somersett United activities (for what purpose one can only speculate).
Somersett United’s policy is to focus on issues not individuals.